Saturday, June 23, 2012

Quick Chocolate (or Carob) Vegan Pudding



Are you drooling yet? Just looking at this picture makes me want to run back into the kitchen and make some more of this real fast. Are you on your way already? I don't blame you.

When I was a kid, my dad used to disappear into the kitchen after dinner sometimes with the instructions that no one was allowed to come and peek. Few things in life have proven as exciting as those moments waiting for that treat that Dad had perfected. I'm not really sure why he didn't make it more often. Maybe his version wasn't this easy! In any case, this pudding reminds me of home and my loved ones there. It may do the same for you. If not, it's still very tasty.

Quick Chocolate (or Carob) Vegan Pudding

Ingredients:


  • 4 cups soy or other nut milk. I prefer to use my homemade almond milk.
  • 1/3 cup sweetener (This can be sugar, agave nectar, or splenda if you want sugar free) Adjust to your preference.
  • 1/4 cup cocoa or carob powder
  • 1/3 cup cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Procedure:


  1. Stir or blend all ingredients until smooth. You can even use a blender or immersion blender to speed this up and make it simple. 
  2. Pour into a medium sauce pan.
  3. Lightly boil while stirring constantly. You don't want it to stick or burn. If it tries to splatter as it thickens, turn down your heat. 
  4. In about 5 minutes, it will have thickened nicely. Pour into a serving dish or individual bowls. Chill and serve. It is great just as it is or you can top it with vegan chocolate/carob chips, or tofu whipped cream. Oh yum. 
Note: If you want to use this as a pie filling, which is wonderful, make it exactly as above, but instead of using only 1/4 cup cornstarch, use 1/2 cup. This will make it much thicker and it will set up perfectly as a pie. I'm picturing chocolate cream with a cookie crust....oh wow.


Be sure to share with those you love! 

1 comment:

  1. I will have Brandon licking the bowl with this!! Thank you! Looks heavenly!!

    ReplyDelete