I love comfort food any time of year and lentils are somehow very comforting to me. It's a bit strange really, because I hardly ever had them growing up. I think I love the earthiness of them. Combine that with tasty root veggies and I'm in heaven. Would you like to visit my little "Lentil Heaven"? Try this recipe!
Indian Spiced Lentil Soup
- 2 Tablespoons corn, olive, or coconut oil (Corn will be more neutral, olive will be stronger but tasty, and coconut will give a great flavor.)
- 1 small Onion (My husband doesn't care for onions much, so I use the small onion at the end of a green onion stalk. It gives it a more mild flavor.)
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 1 - 14.5 oz can Diced Tomatoes (Don't drain it!)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 large or 2 small Carrots
- 1 large Sweet Potato or Yam
- 1 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground Coriander
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Cayenne or Chipotle powder (Adjust the heat to your preference.)
- 1 3/4 cup dried Brown Lentils (I sometimes like to substitute 1/4 cup brown lentils for red lentils. It gives the soup more texture.)
- 8 cups Vegetable Stock or Water (If using water, you may need to adjust your seasonings to taste a bit more.)
- Salt and Pepper
- Optional: 1/4 cup fresh Cilantro Leaves for garnish
1.) Chop and mince all your ingredients and gather your spices. Rinse your lentils and open your can. Have everything at the ready!
2.) Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, sweet potato and carrots. Stir to mix.
3.) Cover and cook until softened the onion is softened. This will take about ten minutes.
4.) Add the tomatoes and the juice. Stir in ginger, cumin, coriander and cayenne/chipotle. Add lentils and stock/water. Mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover again and simmer until the lentils and veggies are done. This should take about 40-45 minutes. Be sure to stir it occasionally.
5.) If using the Cilantro, add it during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
6.) Add salt and pepper to taste and adjust your seasonings.
7.) Serve and enjoy a piece of "Lentil Heaven" here on Earth!