Saturday, June 23, 2012

How to Press Tofu

When I really began playing around with tofu, I kept coming across recipes that told me to "press" my tofu. I didn't know what this meant and it sounded involved. Looking at the internet didn't help. I found all these crazy contraptions claiming to be needed for the procedure. Because of this, I often passed up recipes that sounded great, but didn't appeal to my laziness and frugality. I finally came across the directions for pressing tofu in one of my books. I couldn't believe how easy it sounded. Turns out it is a breeze and just takes 20 minutes at the start of the recipe. Many times I start the process and then get everything else that I need ready. Before I know it, my tofu is pressed and ready to go!

Have you been in a similar situation? Has "pressing" deterred you from discovering great new ways to use tofu? Don't let it happen any more. Nothing could be more simple or easy.

Procedure:

Cut your tofu however you wish. Wrap the tofu in a clean tea towel (save the environment!) or a few layers of paper towels.





Next, place a flat plate or cookie sheet on top. Rest a heavy object, or objects, on top. You may use a few large cans of tomatoes or a large book. Anything heavy works. Just make sure it is sturdy. Leave this pressing for about 20-25 minutes and then drain the liquid and rinse your towel.

Now, wasn't that easy? Ok, no more excuses: get pressing!

No comments:

Post a Comment