Ever since my first experiment with baking tofu, (see Rosemary-Lemon Baked Tofu), I've been excited to try different spice combinations. This one came about because I happened to have limes and cilantro on hand. I had already been toying with the idea of using my new chipotle powder to spice things up. I decided to use sesame oil to give it a bit of an Asian cuisine flavor to go with our Bahn Mi that we were planning on using this with.
If you are looking for tofu that tastes bright, yet spicy, this is it. This will probably be a new staple around here this summer. I'm already excited to make more!
- ~14.25 oz. firm Tofu (It comes out to be 3/4 of a 19 oz. container.)
- Juice of 1 Small Lime
- 1/2 teaspoon Lime zest (Use a vegetable peeler to get this from the rind after washing the outside of your lime and before cutting it. Be sure not to get the whitish under-layer. That can be bitter.)
- 2 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce or Braggs Liquid Aminos (less if watching your salt intake)
- 1/2 cup (lightly pressed down) Cilantro Leaves
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/4-1/2 Chipotle powder (Depends on how spicy you like it.)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
2.) Roughly chop the cilantro leaves and mince the garlic cloves.
|Halfway through adding the ingredients. Already looking great!|
3.) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mix all ingredients, minus the tofu, in a small bowl.
5.) Once your tofu is done pressing, and cut how you like it, add it to the baking dish. Turn each piece to coat all sides with the marinade. Place in the oven.
6.) Bake for 30-60 minutes. The longer it bakes, the chewier and more firm it will be. I bake mine for about an hour. Be sure to turn it once, about halfway through.
7.) When finished, drain on paper towels to get rid of the excess oil.
8.) Cool or chill and enjoy! You can eat it plain or use it in sandwiches, stir fries, noodle dishes, wraps, anything you care to.
I used mine in delicious Vegan Bahn Mi sandwiches and Vietnamese Spring Rolls. The recipe for those will be coming soon!