Friday, August 5, 2011

Dream Catcher

Growing up I learned a many different kinds of crafts from my mother, from Native American loom beading to scherenschnitte (paper cutting). My sister also taught me to make dream catchers. I've been experimenting with dream catchers this past year and have found them to be a wonderful craft to make. Not only are they beautiful, they give me a way to connect with part of my heritage.

Recently we went to a pow wow up in New Hampshire and I picked up some supplies I haven't bought since childhood. I got some sinew, leather scraps, wolf teeth, and some feathers. I had a bit of a hard time purchasing, what my husband refers to as, animal parts since I am a vegetarian turning vegan. I take comfort in the fact that these "parts" were acquired in a humane and meaningful manner.

I also love using recycled materials. Many times I will find something and instantly think of a use for it. I look at it and see art. In this case I found a metal ring on the sidewalk. I'm not sure what it was originally, but I found it to be the perfect hoop for a large dream catcher. I covered in ribbon yarn and began my creation. I love the result and can't wait to find the perfect spot for it.



Here you can see a close up with the wolf teeth. They add a wild charm. Below are some of the wild turkey feathers. I love how they shine in the sunlight and are so soft.


(I love this project so much I can't bring myself to part with it. Therefore, it is not for sale at this time. I do have two other small dream catchers that I available on my Etsy shop at: Wind Whispers' Etsy Shop)

Rain Drop Dream Catcher

No comments:

Post a Comment